A Piece of Grieder History
Grieder started as a farm in Carlock, IL originally cutting sod with a hand sod cutter for the construction of Highway 74. Officially in 1970, the family owned business opened its doors as a sod farm. Widely known for the production of fine quality bluegrass sod, Grieder's eventually began installing their product and then trees, shrubs and other landscape materials. In 1987, Grieder's opened an office in Bloomington on Airport Road at what was then the corner of G.E. Road. With the city and the company quickly outgrowing that location, Grieder's started looking for a more permanent location on the east side of Bloomington.
As growing continued, in 1992 construction took place for a building to house the landscaping company. The operation was moved in early 1993 to our current location at 1804 Towanda Barnes Road. Still growing, in 1995 we added another building for the opening of Grieder Garden Center, and in 199 the city of Bloomington (also growing) extended G.E. Road to Towanda Barnes Road. We were back on the corner of G.E. Road, where we remain today as one of Central Illinois' leaders in the Landscape Industry.